Let us listen to some songs for a change [ ha..ha.. DVD தீந்து போச்சா :) ]. I have been collecting and listening to music for a long time. Right from my school days, I used to move with slightly elderly friends and hence I was attracted to the songs they listened that time. I remember listening to 'Poondhaliraada' from 'Paneer pushpangall', in Ungall viruppam. I remember in UKG [ yei.. Yei.. Mister.. என்ன இதெல்லாம் :) ], I listened to this 'Mayile Mayile' from 'Kadavull amaitha medai'. Slowly, I grew with All India Radio programme on on film songs - உங்கள் விருப்பம், திரை கானம், ஒலிச்சித்திரம், ஒரு படப் பாடல், சிறுவர் சோலை, தேன்கிண்ணம்.[ sometimes, Hindi songs used to come 'aap kee parmaayeesh' !].
I spent a lot in recording songs [ in empty 90 mins cassettes ] in my early days of my career. I had a box full of 90mins Maxell/Sony cassettes. I had a friend who owned a music shop with very rare collection. The shop was filled with LP records - I found that as a treasure.. Nandu [ Manjall veyil maalayitta poove ], Mudhal Iravu [ Manjall nilavuku indru ], Karumbu Vil [ Meen kodi theril ], Kazhugu [ Kaadhal ennum Kovil ] are some of the rare gems ! . I even recorded MNM songs in a 90 mins cassette - just for fun [ Crankx knows what is MNM :) ]. I'll recollect more in a separate blog [ இது வேறயா ! ] .
The only topic I am comfy and confident talking with Mysskin is Tamil film music and films [ not much on books :( ]. He introduced instrumental music like Santoor [ Pt Shivkumar Sharma ] ,Ramana malai, English film soundtracks [ Braveheart ] to me.
Slowly, my music gadgets changed from Sony walkman, CD - MAN player and now it's a ZEN mp3 player with FM Radio. Now, I have settled with FM radio [ around 9 channels in Chennai ]. The beauty of FM channel is it's unpredictability. Suddenly, you hear the prelude of 'Poo maalaiye' from Pagal nilavu or the mesmerising flute start in 'Siru Thoduthalile' from laadam ; just like a heavy n sudden rain. In my Bangalore life, I missed this beautiful option of hearing songs in radio. After I returned to Chennai, I'm delighted to hear songs almost all the time. The best one's are from Vairamuthu neram - in aaha FM.
This blog is about the female singers of 2008. Though I am not convinced to restrict the songs by year or by any other category, I wanted to share the frequent songs that came in FM.
1. Madhushree - Marudhani / Sakkara katti / ARR
2. Bombay Jayashree - Yaaro manadhile / Dhaam dhoom /Harris Jayaraj
The chemistry of Bombay Jayashree in Harris's music started way back in 2000 [ Vaseegara in Minnale ]. A trivia about Vaseegara song - it's the only Tamil song which has the word 'Mudivili' - infinity. [ காதலெனும் முடிவிலியில் கடிகார நேரம் கிடையாதே !!].
The initial lines are sung by Singer Krish. Her voice travels in a different orbit, unexplored by the regular singers in Tamil. A real good one.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxeRnmr7DWc
3. Swetha Mohan - Manasukkull / Anjathey /Sundar C Babu
4. Sudhaa Ragunathan - Anal mele pani thuli / Vaaranam 1000 / Harris Jayaraj.
5. Sadhan Sargam - Mukundha Mukundha / Dasavatharam / Himesh
Just for the voice of SS.
Best duets of 2008
1. Kangall Irandaal - Belly raj/Deepa mariam - MD:James vasathan - Subramaniapuram
2. Naan varaindhu vaitha - Hariharan/Madhushree - MD:Vidyasagar - Jayamkondaan
3. En anbe - Sadhana Sargam/Benny dayal - MD:Harris - Satyam
4. Ragasiya kanavugall - Hariharan/Madhushree - MD:Harris - Bheema
5. Adiye kolluthey - Benny dayal/Krish/Shruthi hasan [ Terrific voice !!]- MD:Harris - Varanam 1000
6. Mundhinam - Naresh Iyer/Prashanthini [ Daugther of Malaysia Vasudevan ]- MD:Harris - Vaaranam 1000
7. Machaan machaan - IR / Belashinde - MD:YuvanShankar - Silambattam. Bela Shinde is also a winner from Sa re ga ma program along with another gen singer Shreya ghosal.
8. Lesaa parakudhu - Karthik/Chinmayi - MD:Selvaganesh - Vennila Kabbadi kuzhu.